Where Will You Travel in 2017?

I haven’t slept much lately. Not for any glamorous reason, but because I have a four month old baby with serious FOMO. Girl is not a fan of sleep, which makes me sad because sleep is SO GREAT and I kind of miss doing it. Pray she sees the error of her ways soon.

Also a girl who can’t sit still

As a result I have started writing two very good articles only to discover they already exist on this site! My brain is basically recycling itself because it’s too tired to come up with an original idea.

So, let’s talk travel plans instead!

I never get tired of hearing other people’s travel plans, whether it’s somewhere I’ve been and can give advice on, or somewhere I’m also longing to go. Travel planning is so exciting and optimistic, it’s just so fun.

My Travel Plans

Are kind of vague at the moment. Mike and I are very excited to show Marcella the world, but we’re still figuring out the logistics of how to do that. We’re also deep in money-saving mode, with the hopes of doing something really splashy in 2018 (still figuring out what that will be… but I know it will be good). Nonetheless there will be travel, and exciting travel at that!

Definitely In the Books:

Colombia– Mike’s sister Joanna is getting married on two continents this summer, and we will go to both weddings. One in Atlantic City, New Jersey and one in Medellin. Colombia is still one of my favorite countries I’ve been to and I think it will be a really fun place to visit with a baby.

San Francisco– Not sure when but I know we have to hop down to visit my brother and sister in law in my favorite city by the bay. We’ll also be working with the Italian consulate there to finalize Marcella and my Italian citizenship (since Mike already has his).

Pacific Northwest Exploration– We’ve lived here for two and a half years now and there is so much of the Pacific Northwest we haven’t yet seen. This spring and summer we hope to do some more weekend trips and drives that really take advantage of this beautiful region of the world. Plus we can take Leo along which is a major plus.

Potentially Happening:

Europe – I probably shouldn’t even list this here since it’s basically just me inviting myself along on a work trip that Mike hasn’t even committed to yet, but I’m crossing my fingers that Marcella and I might make it to France this Spring.

Mexico– We originally hoped to take Marcella to Sayulita this winter but the timing isn’t quite working out between our two jobs and life events. I’m already lobbying for Christmas 2017 in Mexico…. but we’ll see what happens.

Who even knows what else. We will see what work possibilities come my way, what Mike manages to magic with his air mile wizardry and what other opportunities pop up…

So where are you planning (or at least hoping) to travel in 2017?

29 Responses to Where Will You Travel in 2017?

1. hayleyasimpson January 2, 2017 at 7:57 PM #

I am currently planning trips to Hawaii and Denver, but hoping for a Europe adventure in fall!

2. Lili January 2, 2017 at 8:21 PM #

I just returned from a trip to San Francisco, and in 2017….I actually have no plans yet. I need to beef up the savings before I plan another trip. I know there likely will be one business trip in the next few months to Irvine, CA and hopefully another one to the NY area. If those happen then I’ll likely add on a few days at each place.

• Steph January 3, 2017 at 2:09 PM #

We are trying to hardcore save this year too but it’s so hard when travel is so tempting!

3. Annika January 3, 2017 at 4:19 AM #

So far I have two short-term jobs set up (in California and Bruges, 2.5 months each), to which I’ll add weekends in Mexico City, Helsinki, Transylvania and Bratislava. Excited to begin travelling again after two very busy years!
    I’ve been reading your travel blog for a while but did not realise you were/were about to become an Italian citizen. Benvenuta 🙂

• Steph January 3, 2017 at 2:09 PM #

I just told Mike I really want to go to Mexico City this year. Hope we can make it happen!

My husband has Italian citizenship through his grandmother so I will be getting it via marriage to him (although my ancestors were also Italian, it’s easier to go through him). Very excited about this!

4. Elizabeth January 3, 2017 at 4:44 AM #

It sounds like you have some great travel plans coming up! Traveling with a baby is super fun (and very tiring — but worth it). I’m sure you’ll love it and your daughter will love the different stimulation!

5. Belen January 3, 2017 at 7:48 AM #

I will be spending next weekend in London, and I will travel to Japan for sakura, can’t wait!! I also plan to make a few local trips this year (I live in Italy).

6. Hal January 3, 2017 at 12:39 PM #

My list includes Puerto Vallarta in February to visit my dad at their winter vaca place, skiing in Colorado this spring, and hopefully New Orleans, Cape Cod, and Dallas, as well as Palm Springs, to name a few!! I am curious, where is your favorite spot to travel to in Colombia? Would like some travel tips for there.

• Steph January 3, 2017 at 2:08 PM #

Our trip will mostly center around Medellin but I also really enjoyed Bogota and the southern coffee country a lot. There are some back articles on this site you can check out for tips.

7. Nicole January 3, 2017 at 12:41 PM #

I just got back from Sayulita. It’s lovely but very over run. I would recommend staying in San Pancho, the town ten mins down the coast instead.

• Steph January 3, 2017 at 2:07 PM #

I can believe this, it was already creeping that was back in 2014. If we go it would mostly be for nostalgia reasons.

8. Cassidy January 3, 2017 at 12:45 PM #

In 2017 I’ll be traveling to Indonesia and backpacking through Europe with one of my best friends. I’m so excited!!

9. Casey Colesworthy January 3, 2017 at 12:58 PM #

So many places are the list for 2017! Nothing has been decided officially yet, but potential ideas include Nicaragua (again), Guatemala, Mexico, India, Vietnam, Nepal, Cambodia, and Patagonia (Argentina and Chile). I need a bit more time to see how my year is going to unfold and then I’ll get to planning!

• Steph January 3, 2017 at 2:07 PM #

Sounds like a busy year!

10. theworldonmynecklace January 3, 2017 at 1:38 PM #

Sounds like some good plans. For me, Mexico, US and New Zealand definitely happening and very likely for Canada, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Nepal and maybe India too. Looking forward to see how it all pans out!

• Steph January 3, 2017 at 2:06 PM #

I loved Sri Lanka when I visited a couple years ago. Great food!

11. Kemal January 3, 2017 at 2:03 PM #

My advise is Cape Town, Capadoccia, Panglao, Cesky Crumlow.

12. Holly January 3, 2017 at 5:23 PM #

Anywhere lol! My travel budget is depleted. But with a little luck will recover by summer

13. Erin January 3, 2017 at 9:33 PM #

I’m trying to toe the line this year between hitting some serious savings goals and traveling a fair bit. I know I’ll be in NYC a lot (so much I feel like it almost doesn’t count). But I’m very excited that we booked a trip today to the US Virgin Islands!

• Steph January 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM #

It’s such a hard line to toe!

14. Jazmin Marshall January 3, 2017 at 11:11 PM #

Fun wish list, Steph! We are also working on more PNW travel – I booked a weekend in Bellingham for my birthday in March. I’m also hoping to visit Leavenworth or maybe one of the islands at some point this year. Bigger travels will include a trip to San Francisco, an Alaskan cruise with the family in July, and if I have my way, Iceland in October. I too am hoping for a semi-splashy trip to Spain in 2018 either before we try for a baby or for a baby-moon. 🙂

• Steph January 4, 2017 at 11:21 AM #

Nice! I did an Alaskan cruise with my mom last summer and it was so beautiful. And I know a ton about Iceland if you need tips!

15. Steven Alex January 4, 2017 at 2:31 AM #

Nice plans.I am looking for to trip to US Virgin Island yet again.Simply in love with the place.

16. Braai Brothers January 7, 2017 at 4:56 AM #

I cannot even begin to imagine the plans you have install with the little one.

France in Spring will be nice for you if you can “tag along” haha.

As for myself, a new Adventure to South Africa is install for 2017.

I hope it brings all the positives you hope of it.

Hope you and the family had a great Christmas.

17. Amy Posey January 7, 2017 at 3:40 PM #

I live in the SF Bay Area (yay!). Sayulita is such a great little surf town! Colombia is on my list for a paragliding adventure.

Heading to the Galapagos Islands and Bolivia this month, London for work, Kauai, hopefully Baffin Island in the Arctic. Good stuff!

18. Alyssa January 7, 2017 at 11:50 PM #

Heading to Crete (finally!) in March, and then have plans for Thailand for 3 weeks in June, jumping over to Israel for 2-3 weeks in June/July. First two are with my husband, and then I’ll set off on my own (sorta) to Israel — it’s an archaeological dig for about a week – so that part isn’t really “alone!” and some random wandering as well.

Happy New Year!

19. Irena Pankova January 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM #

What a cute kid!
    My kid is 6 months only, I have no even idea how it’s possible to go alone with a baby 😉

I saw many blogs where guys just left all and went to Kambodja, they have amazing winter time there ;))

I wish to go too 🙂 in my 1st trip with a kid

20. Allan Feldman January 19, 2017 at 1:30 PM #

Great list of travel destinations. Very fortunate that you’re going to see family while in Colombia and San Francisco. I made some great friends while on a trip to Israel, and I hoping to go to California this year too, specifically San Francisco and San Diego. Also hoping I can go back to Israel too, my cousin is having his wedding in the summer.

21. Jose B January 21, 2017 at 2:45 AM #

Europe! Oktoberfest Munich, Venice, Florence, Rome, and finishing off in Amsterdam.