Iceland in Winter in Instagrams

Last week I took a crazily- minute work assignment in Iceland. Seriously, last minute- like get my flight itinerary Monday morning and leave Monday afternoon last minute. I didn’t really mind though because I couldn’t pass up a chance to revisit one of my favorite countries, the place where this travel blog was basically born. Even if it was g:ing to be below freezing all week.

Last time I visited Iceland was June 2009, a glorious time of year where wildflowers blanketed everything and the sun never set. This time around was, well, pretty different. Iceland was covered in snow, the sun only peaked out for 10 hours a day and it was pretty damn cold. Even so, Iceland’s innate beauty shone through.

I’ll be writing a bit more about my experiences (especially about IcelandAir’s buddy program which I got to test drive), but first up here are some pictures from my short trip:

The view from my hotel room at the Residences at the Marina. Not bad to wake up to after an early morning nap!

The incredible facade of the Harpa, Reykjavik’s new performing arts center.

The light in winter was magic- this was taken at noon! At Þingvellir National Park.

It was so cold next to Gulfoss that my phone died immediately after I took this shot.

The famous Geyser steaming in a field of snow.

These chocolate cupcakes were hard to resist.

The lava strewn path to the Blue Lagoon, Iceland’s most famous attraction.

It really does look like this! Steamy.

A lava field covered in snow, looks otherworldly.

Reykjavik’s main cathedral- with Leif Erickson outside.

Disclosure: I visited Iceland on assignment for another publication and my trip was paid for by Iceland Air. All opinions are my own.

12 Responses to Iceland in Winter in Instagrams

1. Beth @ Paces and Places February 17, 2016 at 7:47 AM #

I also visited Iceland in the summer, so it’s fun seeing these winter Iceland pictures. I want to go back!!

2. Jake Steinerman February 17, 2016 at 3:28 PM #

How’d you find it driving around in winter? Especially to Þingvellir National Park, since it’s a bit off Highway 1/the Ring Road.

• Steph February 17, 2016 at 4:58 PM #

I didn’t drive, I had someone driving me around. The roads did seem a bit icy but if you have experience driving in the winter in the US . You will definitely want 4 wheel drive at minimum.

3. David February 17, 2016 at 9:45 PM #

Beautiful set of photos. I’ve been meaning to go back to Iceland. Went about 6 years ago. My one lasting memory is being in the blue lagoon for 6 hours and realising when I came out that my skin had never been so soft 🙂

4. Where's Zoe Now? February 19, 2016 at 5:31 AM #

That last photo!! There’s something very poetic about snow and clouds and sea and a longboat 🙂

5. Margrét Halldórsdóttir February 20, 2016 at 5:37 PM #

Fantastic photos from Iceland ! Beautiful in the winter time !
    Thank you Stephanie !

6. Trisha Velarmino - P.S. I'm On My Way February 23, 2016 at 7:38 AM #

I’ve been wanting to visit Iceland although I wouldn’t think I would be ready to go during winter though. The way the snow blankets everything seems surreal! I can only imagine how cold it must be. Are the tourist attractions like the geyser, national park and the blue lagoon easily accessible and near the capital? How’s the local cuisine?

• Steph February 23, 2016 at 2:33 PM #

Yeah all of those things can be easily reached via bus as day trips or half day trips from Reykjavik. If you want to explore further into the countryside I would recommend summer over winter for driving.

Icelandic cuisine…. doesn’t really do much for me. It’s pretty heavy on the fish and meat and light on everything else. I had some great ice cream and chocolate there though!

7. Rohit Dua February 25, 2016 at 6:19 AM #

I Will visit in Iceland in this summer, i like Blue Lagoon and Reykjavik’s main cathedra so i will sure would like to go there.

8. Green Global Travel (@GreenGlobalTrvl) March 6, 2016 at 1:10 AM #

The cold wouldn’t bother me if I was surrounded by Icelandic scenery! Volcanoes, steam pools, geysers, lava paths, anything you can name! I NEED to visit this country when my finances allow me to do so! It looks absolutely incredible!

9. lifelovinglydia March 11, 2016 at 4:15 AM #

You took amazing pictures!
    It´s incredible how beautiful this island is 🙂
    You really inspired me.
    Yours,
    Lifelovinglydia

10. Joseph April 3, 2016 at 5:39 AM #

This summer I was in Iceland but I didn’t like situation, there was average temperature 11C and to being there was not pleasant at all!