How to Travel in 2015: A Guide

I love the potential and promise that comes with each new year. You know, before you’ve had time to mess things up with laziness and bad decisions.

So before atrophy takes over and you end up parked in front of the couch, make your travel goals now. Where are you going in 2015? How are you going to get there? Not just physically, but mentally and financially.

No matter what your financial, geographical or personal situation, there is some way you can incorporate more travel into your life. So, I wrote you a guide.

Or rather, a compilation of the many resources already on this site. This is a re-tooling of a post I wrote back in 2013. Since then there have been many new articles, and many new readers, so it seemed time to print a new syllabus for you guys on how to make this your Year of Travel.

Getting Started

How to Stop Dreaming and Get Moving

6 Bullshit Reasons Not to Travel

Is the American Dream Holding You Back?

How Much Does it Cost?

Planning Your Travel Budget (a 4 part series)

The Biggest Money Sucks for Twenty-Somethings

How to Get the Most Out of Studying Abroad

Honest Truth of Studying Abroad

Traveling as a College Student

What to Study When You Want a Life of Travel

5 Ways to Travel Post Graduation

Working Abroad

Workaway, HelpX and WWOOF: What’s the Difference?

Teaching Abroad: What if I Don’t Like Kids?

The Four Stages of Living Abroad

How to Avoid Tourist Scams

How to Plan Your Own Food Tour

The Introverts Guide to Travel

How to Eat Really Well on a Small Budget

Bargaining Tips for the Non-Confrontational

Manage Your Travel Money Without Going Insane

Where are you going this year?

19 Responses to How to Travel in 2015: A Guide

1. Michelle January 6, 2015 at 9:19 PM #

Looks like I have a lot to read 🙂

2. priya January 6, 2015 at 9:50 PM #

Love This Guide! I def want to see more in 2015!

3. renucas January 6, 2015 at 11:12 PM #

Ooohh…this post is so inspiring! Yes, I am going to a lot of places this year! Perhaps I will come to this post and check if I stuck to my words. 😀 It’s important to take right decisions and shun laziness. All the best for your travel plans!

4. Kelly January 7, 2015 at 1:30 AM #

Great guide for 2015 – such a fantastic roundup of posts! All the best for 2015 Steph 🙂

5. thetraveloguer January 7, 2015 at 8:22 AM #

Great idea to put all these posts together. It’s always good to plan your travels right at the start of the year, as you said. I’ll be looking at the savings ones first! 🙂

6. Eden January 7, 2015 at 9:55 AM #

Great guide and articles. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

7. Scott January 7, 2015 at 11:08 AM #

What an incredible resource! I’ll be bookmarking this for the future.

Currently planning a big trip to India and SE Asia. I already bought the 1 way ticket so I need to get crackin’ 😉

8. Alana - Paper Planes January 7, 2015 at 12:31 PM #

I shouldn’t have looked at this first thing in the morning…now there are too many posts I want to read!

9. Hannah M January 7, 2015 at 1:03 PM #

Thanks Steph! This is the year I take a career break – this post came at a perfect time!

10. Lauren Meshkin @BonVoyageLauren January 7, 2015 at 6:12 PM #

Love this! I have a lot of reading to do and I can’t wait. Thanks for sharing 🙂

11. Jack Johnson @ protravelblog January 8, 2015 at 2:01 AM #

Studying abroad is probably the coolest thing I missed out on when I was in school. It’s the ultimate way to see the world while you’re young, and still get educated at the same time. I encourage anyone who can afford it to do it for a semester or more!

I talk to a lot of customers while at work and they are studying abroad and they come all around the world. Very smart thing to do.

12. realplacespeoplestories January 8, 2015 at 3:55 PM #

What a great guide. The last years I have been travel full time. However, in 2014, I wanted to travel much more than I did. I hope that this year I will be able to travel much more, and will for sure have this guide in back of my head for make it happen 🙂

13. Evelina January 9, 2015 at 6:20 AM #

Awesome guide! I have some reading to do 🙂

14. [email protected] Shores to Skylines January 9, 2015 at 11:48 AM #

Great post of all your tips – and I loved your point about starting out the year right before laziness and bad decisions kick in – haha. First up for us is the Philippines and some travel around the US. 🙂

15. Stephanie @ The Passport Lifestyle January 11, 2015 at 6:28 AM #

Not bad tips at all! Great source of info. I personally think flying into a hub and then splitting the costs with friends to surrounding countries is a great way to go. You definitely can’t travel too much when you’re young!!

16. Alexandra Stan January 11, 2015 at 10:19 AM #

Every start of an year is a perfect time to sit and to think how to optimize the travels during the year. There are a lot of new places to visit during the upcoming 12 months and the better the planning, the better the experience.

17. Marie Meier January 13, 2015 at 4:52 PM #

Thanks 🙂 I gotta read all the articles you have posted here.
    This year I want to travel much more and see new things. It’s just so difficult when studying AND working. But I’m going to travel every time I get the chance this year. 🙂

18. Miles of Happiness - Marie January 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM #

Great post! It’s going to be a busy year with all those beautiful places to discover…

19. alwinsam January 26, 2015 at 2:35 AM #

Amazing site! Good intentions. From the start, the blog seems to be a motivational one. I will follow your blog here!