Sri Lanka in Instagram

I went to Sri Lanka in search of inspiration, and I certainly found it. After over a year in North America, I was desperate to explore somewhere more foreign, to learn about a new culture and to really feel out of my depth for a little while. Basically, I wanted to remind myself of the many important reasons why I travel in the first place.

I got all that and more. Sri Lanka was beautiful, occasionally frustrating and just an incredibly interesting place to explore. I loved learning about the country’s unique cuisine, history and ecosystems. I have a lot of stories to tell you in the coming weeks (plus some stories about Hong Kong, and leftover stories from Las Vegas, Austin and Seattle that I still need to get around to- but let’s not dwell on that now.

As an appetizer, here are some of my favorite Instagram shots I took while traveling through Sri Lanka:

Getting up close with wild Elephants in Kaudulla National Park

Vibrant cave paintings at Sigiriya Cliff Fortress

A monk posing at the top of the cliff fortress

One of the many ancient Buddhas in the ruins of Polonnaruwa, a UNESCO site

Colorful prayer flags

Cheeky monkeys with a view in the Pollunuwara compound

Old-fashion train departure board in Kandy

Stunning blue water and the Portuguese fort in Galle

Some of the vibrant spices that are staples in Sri Lankan cooking

Distinctive Sri Lankan boat on the beach near Galle

The actual TBC Conference in Colombo- the first of it’s kind!

The view from my window at the Hotel J in Negombo

the main beach in Negombo

My last sunset in Sri Lanka

Follow my Instagram in real time over here!

BONUS: Here is a video put together by my friends from Captain and Clark (with a cameo from yours truly) that goes a long way towards summing up our experiences in this “humid,” “spicy” and “sun-drenched” country:

My trip to Sri Lanka was sponsored by Cinnamon Hotels and Sri Lanka Airlines.

25 Responses to Sri Lanka in Instagram

1. Emiko Atherton December 3, 2014 at 6:25 AM #

Beautiful photos. My favorite was the monk at the cliff fortress – the image definitely tells a story. Would love to hear more about your visit as I’m thinking of headed there in early 2015!

• Steph December 3, 2014 at 11:21 AM #

Funny thing about that monk: he was posing for so many pictures, and in between he was taking shots with his ipad. His monk friend had a DSLR. Wish I’d gotten a picture of that!

2. hidayah December 3, 2014 at 6:36 AM #

Been in Sri Lanka last Oct and i love it! Such a beautiful country =)

3. Tiffany | The Together Traveler December 3, 2014 at 8:35 AM #

I totally get the itchy feet when you’ve spent too long in one place! Gorgeous pictures. This looks like an amazing adventure!

4. Nikita December 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM #

You’ve just deepened my desire to visit Sri Lanka. Beautiful pictures!

5. Tawny of Captain and Clark December 3, 2014 at 12:20 PM #

Le sigh… can we please all go back again next year? Your pictures make us miss it even more!

• Steph December 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM #

Yeah, but maybe for more than a week this time!

6. Kerwin December 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM #

Steph,

it’s great to see the trip through your eyes…
    And yeah, we got way too close in that first picture.

Thank you.

7. Isa December 3, 2014 at 1:42 PM #

wow they are beautiful, like soooooooo beautiful and you captured so many amazing places there!

8. Miles of Happiness December 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM #

Beautiful shots!!

9. Nishadha December 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM #

You’ve sure covered some of the best places in Sri Lanka. Its not everyday you get to visit three world heritage sites in one trip.

• Steph December 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM #

We actually saw 5! There was also the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy and the Golden Temple of Dambulla. Not bad for one week.

• Nishadha December 6, 2014 at 12:40 AM #

Wow, even more impressive. You’ve just missed 3. I guess the time wasn’t enough to visit Anuradhapura, its much more impressive than Polonnnaruwa and a lot more things to see too.

10. Justine of The Travel Lush December 5, 2014 at 2:40 AM #

I have wanted to go to Sri Lanka for so long but I haven’t gotten there yet. It looks like such a beautiful country and I’ve heard such good things about the food! I’m glad you enjoyed your time there. Sometimes the countries that are a little bit frustrating are the ones I end up loving the most.

• Steph December 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM #

The food is amazing! So varied and spicy and delicious.

11. Sam December 5, 2014 at 8:04 AM #

I love how much attention Sri Lanka’s been getting lately! My husband and I are planning to go there next February/March and this has really whetted my appetite. The food, the history, the beaches; I can’t wait to surround myself with all that good stuff!

• Steph December 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM #

Yeah Dave and Lauren’s articles a few months ago were super inspiring! I suspect you’ll read even more about Sri Lanka in the next few months- after all there were 40 bloggers on the trip.

12. Eden December 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM #

Beautiful photos. I would have never thought to visit Sri Lanka, but it looks like an incredible place! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

13. Marysia @ My Travel Affairs December 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM #

Love the last sunset picture, and I can’t say I’m missing Sri Lanka, as I’m still here, but I know I will the minute I leave!

14. Sigurdur Bjorgvinsson @theRedHeadExplorer December 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM #

Great pictures, Sri Lanka looks like an amazing place. I have always wanted to go there and it is on my bucket list, I hope I can go there in the future.

15. Saiful Islam Khan December 11, 2014 at 12:15 AM #

Sri Lanka, a beautiful country in Asia contains magnificent places & colorful scenic beauty even a lot of UNESCO recognized sites there. It’s highly appreciated for backpackers enjoying above all you shared. I personally liked appetizer, spices, prayer flags & beaches photos those were too colorful to like much.
    Very thank you Steph for sharing these photos with experiences! Indeed you are a good photographer too! Keep it up writings & sharing such this.

Best regards,
    Saiful

16. Hanna December 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM #

Gosh, I’m so happy that all of you (I guess?) liked this country! I was there in March 2014 and I really fell in love but I’ve got a friend who didn’t agree with me and she was even surprised how it possible to like this coutry as much as I do! She was so convincing in her complaining about it that I started to believe that maybe there is something wrong with me?
    The most frightening thing for me was that I go back there in March 2015 with a group of women and what I would tell them if they didn’t like Sri Lanka?

But when I look at your (and other bloggers) pictures and read your words I know that they’ll like it, too. I’m so sure about it and can’t wait to go back there! 😀

17. Laura December 12, 2014 at 7:04 AM #

Absolutely beautiful images. Sri Lanka’s making its way onto my must-try list after reading so many wonderful experiences!

18. Alex December 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM #

Looks like a wonderful experience, Steph! I particularly love that Sri Lankan boat. The colors are so vibrant! Looking forward to reading more about the trip 🙂

19. elizabethcarlson272905746 December 16, 2014 at 12:49 AM #

Love those instagrams! Miss you!