A Town Called Tequila

“Where IS everybody?”

Mike and I asked ourselves this again and again during our weekend stay in Tequila. For a town with one of the most recognizable names in Mexico, there were remarkably few tourists for a Saturday in April.

Did you know Tequila is not just a drink, it’s a place? I suspect a lot of people do not, otherwise many more would be making pilgrimages to this town, just 45 minutes outside of Guadalajara, Mexico’s second largest city. It’s an easy day trip, although we opted to spend two nights in a dingy hotel the overlooked the main square with its enormous 16th century Spanish church.

Tequila is the town that gave tequila its name, like champagne from Champagne or parmesan cheese from Parma. As such, it’s very much a one industry town, home to Jose Cuervo of course but also Sauza, La Rojeña and about 15 other distilleries.

Oddly, even the crowds at the World of Cuervo tour experience were sparse.

Which isn’t to say the town wasn’t full of life. In36 hours we witnessed not one, but two major parades, a concert and a wedding. By day we wandered from distillery tour to distillery tour to get out of the heat. In the evening we hung out in the town square eating street food, drinking beer (we were sick of margaritas by then) and people watching with the locals.

A town like this should be a major tourist attraction, with theme bars, pesky vendors and disney-fied mexican restaurants. And I for one, was really glad that it wasn’t.

We visited Tequila with a complimentary rental care procured by CarRentalsUK.

21 Responses to A Town Called Tequila

1. Sergio Camalich Morales April 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM #

So nice! I’ve always wanted to go to Tequila since it is not that far away from Mexico City. What was your favorite tequila?

2. Naomi April 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM #

I too am glad it’s not Disney-fied! I’m curious as to what coffee tequila tastes like though?! I don’t imagine the two would go well together.

• Ash April 9, 2014 at 6:00 AM #

Coffee tequila is delicious! Much better than regular tequila in my opinion!

• Steph April 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM #

I’m not a fan of coffee in general so I passed on that. We have some blackberry tequila in our freezer though. It’s delicious!

3. Katie April 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM #

I’ve been meaning to visit the real Mexico for years now, and Tequilla seems so perfect. A distillery, a wedding, a couple of parades and a concert in 36 hours?! Wow!

4. Jorja Alcorn April 8, 2014 at 4:08 AM #

Interesting! I want to go and have some tequila. Will definitely visit the town when I go to Mexico later this year.

5. Jaime April 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM #

Wow I feel horrible for not knowing this town existed & my parents are Mexican. I’ll definitely be checking this place out. I love Tequila like a lot, but can’t drink it. It makes me so damn emotional and I always end up crying. I swear it’s true & so wish it wasn’t the case. I’ll be careful while I am there.

6. Lina April 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM #

Loved the colorful pictures. This post makes me crave tequila and I don’t even drink.

7. rebecca April 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM #

how do i not know about this place! I love tequila! thanks for sharing!

8. Taylor April 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM #

I’d love to visit Tequila! I never get sick of margaritas :P

9. Pauline April 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM #

Heh! That’s awesome! I love it when I find a gem like that and it’s not overrun by everybody in the world :p I also had no idea that Tequila is actually the name of the town… The only tequila I know tastes delicious and makes me woozy!

10. World Travel Fiend April 9, 2014 at 2:31 AM #

Never knew tequila got it’s name from a town, I’ve learned something today. A town called Tequila sounds like a place I would definitely get myself into trouble in though…

11. Sammi April 9, 2014 at 5:28 AM #

Wow! I wonder if tequila isn’t a popular tourist destination because the only time people drink the stuff- in my experience- is when they’re already so drunk that it suddenly seems like a good idea?!

It’s always good, though, going somewhere like that and finding it’s still pretty traditional. :)

• Steph April 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM #

Haha that is definitely true outside of Mexico. Here though tequila cocktails are an everyday thing.

12. Rebekah April 9, 2014 at 7:20 AM #

That looks pretty awesome, its always nice when things aren’t overcrowded like that. Can’t imagine get sick of margaritas….

• Steph April 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM #

Oh if you drink enough of them you will DEFINITELY be sick!

13. Britney McSweeney April 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM #

Wow! I had no idea there was a city named Tequila~ very surprising. I can’t believe the tourists haven’t caught on and started distillery tours! Looks like I need to add this place to my list for the Americas!

14. Jen April 10, 2014 at 5:01 AM #

What a colourful place. Looks like alot of fun!

15. Savi of Bruised Passports April 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM #

I remember reading about Tequila years ago – ever since it’s earned a place on my itinerary of Mexico. These photos make me want to buy a ticket to Mexico pronto :-)

16. Alana - Paper Planes April 16, 2014 at 9:50 PM #

I had no idea tequila was a place…did it smell of tequila like Hershey, Penn. smells like chocolate? ;)

• Steph April 16, 2014 at 10:52 PM #

You’re joking, but I swear it really did. It was… weird.