10 Things I’ve Learned in 10 Years Post High-School

The anniversary snuck past me last week so fast I didn’t even notice it! Ten years since I walked across the sweltering gymnasium of Washington-Lee High School in Arlington, Virginia.

While it doesn’t feel like ten years have passed, when I think of that girl I once was I can hardly recognize myself. I was excited, but also scared and totally clueless (I was also apparently super skinny these photos seem to suggest- definitely news to 18 year old me).

Terrible cell phone picture of an old picture. Sorry about that.

In the past ten years I’ve spent four years studying at university, been a receptionist, been a paper pusher, been a freelance travel writer, lived in London, lived in DC, lived in China and Argentina and lived out of a backpack for months on end. I’ve fallen in and out of love multiple times, had my heart broken, made friends all over the world, gotten engaged, gotten my appendix removed. I’ve been to nearly 40 countries in the past 10 years, walked the Great Wall of China and snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef.

It’s been a good ten years. I wish I could go back and let past-me know that. I was pretty clueless back then, but here are ten things I’d like to think I’ve wisened up to over the years:

1. Life Happens, Just Go With It

I still look back on high school as the most stressful time of my life. My parents were divorcing, I was crazy busy and mI was convinced that if I didn’t get into a really good college my life was basically over. Senior year I was so stressed out that I ended up in bed with Mono for a month. Which of course only made me more stressed.

Well all that hard work did get me into a good school, it’s true, but I’m not sure it was worth the 7 AM extra classes, the extracurriculars and the tears. College wasn’t even a quarter as stressful. Thank goodness in the past ten years I have learned to relax, that life is about more than just achievements and that everything generally works out okay whether you stay up all night worrying about it or not.

2. Heels are not Your (my) friend

These are actually an entirely different pair of hot pink heels. Apparently I had a lot.

I tottered around my high school graduation in bright pink high heels that I bought at Goodwill for $5. I thought they were so cool, but by the end of the night my feet felt like burning. This would be repeated many nights throughout my twenties, when I would end up walking home through the dirty streets of London barefoot, shoes in hand. I’m lucky I never got tetanus.

Some people are awesome at high heels, I’m not one of them. I know my limitations now and I’ve invested a lot of money in super cute flats over the years. My feet are so thankful.

3. Pick your Partner Wisely

While most high school couples were breaking up and going their separate ways for college, I clung desperately to my high school boyfriend for years and years. We loved each other but we were totally incompatible in almost every way: he was analytical, I was creative, he wanted to settle down, I wanted to see the world. I spent three years of college trying to force myself to change what I wanted, to fit myself into that mold, before I realized I needed to break free. I broke it off, went to study in London and never looked back.

Your partner should compliment your strengths and encourage your dreams, not inhibit them. You should be a team, not adversaries. It took me awhile but I’m so happy I found someone who will take on the world with me.

4. Being Alone Isn’t So Bad Either

Alone for the first time (with fantastic hair)

After that relationship ended I was single for two years- probably the two most definitive years of my young life. For the first time I was actually able to ask myself what I wanted to do, what I liked and what I needed. I learned I loved to travel, that I know how to flirt with a boy in a bar, that I’m not actually so cowardly and that taking risks is kind of a thrill. Those years turned me into me.

So being alone is okay. It’s actually way better than being in a relationship that is shitty. I swear I know so many twenty-somethings and older who have not figured this out yet.

5. It’s okay to not do what everyone else is doing

I actually had the tiniest inkling of this when I graduated but it’s something I still sometimes struggle with.

I went to college in Atlanta because I wanted to go somewhere I didn’t know anyone. I majored in English even though people told me it was a useless major (ACTUALLY, I think English is an incredibly useful degree, but that is a rant for another day). After graduation, when everyone was scrambling for an entry-level job (this was pre-financial meltdown remember), I decided to move to London and be poor. I got that entry level job eventually and at 25 years old I quit it to be an itinerant self-employed writer.

All of these decisions got me to where I am today, but they were all REALLY hard to commit to. Going against the grain is really, really hard. Even now, when all of my friends are moving into cute apartments and putting down roots and I’m planning to move abroad yet again, it’s hard. That doesn’t mean it’s not worth it though.

6. There are Different Kinds of Friendship

Prom! Still close friends today.

I’m actually pretty lucky/weird in that I am still very close friends with many of my high school buddies. These friendships have deepened over the years into life-long bonds. Other relationships have fizzled out, lasting only summer, or a trip together or even one really great evening. They were all still valuable though.

7. You’ll Never Know How Good Things Are Until Later

Sigh. I hate that this is true, but I know it is. At 28 I’m already profoundly nostalgic for my early twenties, that time when I had almost zero responsibilities, dozens of friends and the energy to go out dancing on a Tuesday night and still get up for work the next morning. At the time I’m pretty sure I felt lost and stressed and ready to be anywhere else on the planet, but now you know, I miss it a lot.

I miss college, pulling all nighters in the library with Kim, and I definitely miss living in London and being so poor I struggled to make rent. Will I miss this current period of my in about 5 years. Almost definitely. There’s no way to full appreciate the moment you are in- it’s one of life’s great tragedies.

8. Don’t Eat Crappy Food

God knows what I am wearing here. Ugh high school.

You guys know that I am obsessed with food now- both the cooking of it and the eating of it. It makes me so sad to think of all those years I wasted totally not even caring about what I put in my mouth. For years I was a picky eater, what a waste! For most of my early twenties I lived primarily off of Lean Cuisines. Now I am totally disgusted with myself that I ever put those gross, gross tasting, chemical infused “meals” into my mouth.

Related: you’ll never appreciate how skinny and beautiful you once were until so much later.

9. Pretending to Be Brave Can Get You Really Far

In my line of work and living I run into a lot of people who tell me “You’re so brave!” Dude, I am so not brave. I am scared about something or other about 100% of the time.

What I am good at is pretending to be brave. Acting confident when I’m not, leaping without knowing exactly where I’ll land. Whether it was moving to London without knowing a soul, quitting my job in the midst of a recession or jumping off an actual bridge, it has somehow always worked out okay for me. That’s because the hardest, most agonizing part of any decision is just making it. Living with it is usually pretty easy.

10. You Can Not See the End Goal Yet

If you asked 18 year old me where I would be in ten years, I would never ever in a million years have guessed this is what my life would look like. The getting married part maybe, but the writing, the traveling, the constant thrill and struggle of self-employment? No way. I wanted to be either an archeologist or a librarian.

No matter how many plans you make, it is impossible to see where you’re going to end up. That prospect can be really scary, or it can be really relaxing. Since you can’t control the future, the best thing to do is enjoy the ride.

I think I’ve been doing an OK job so far.

What Do You Wish You Could Tell Your Younger Self?

Shares

27 Responses to 10 Things I’ve Learned in 10 Years Post High-School

1. Sammi June 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM #

I can totally relate to this… It’s really funny that I find in travel blogs things that have been going through my own head lately. No. 7 is so true but I don’t think you realise that until you’re about 22!

I had a really busy stressful age 17-22 but the last 3 years have been totally calm and I’ve gotten a little too settled in my menial job- which I love & that’s the most important thing- but after a little (read, big) scare that we were going to lose our home in 5 weeks time. It made me realise life is waayyy too short to carry on doing things the way I am and I need to grab the reigns & think about The Future. Hopefully by this time next year I will be off travelling semi-permanently & only working part time (with a view to being self employed), I just need to save up a bit more cash to do that. And a year is not that long in the grand scheme of things, right?!

Had this list not been written about you, it could’ve been written about me! I totally didn’t see myself sat here doing what I’m doing ten years ago.

2. Tom @ Waegook Tom June 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM #

I hear you on this, Steph – my 10 year high-school-graduation-a-versary (it’s totally a word) is coming up next year, and when I look back to when I was 18, I just laugh most of the time. I was frightened of talking to new people, but now I just tell myself that people are people. I hated how I looked, but then what 18 year old is confident in their appearance? (well, other than douchey 18 year olds). I would never have guessed that I’d be doing what I’m doing now, and I quit trying to predict where I’d be in the next 10 years a long time ago.

I don’t know if I’ll attend my reunion, or if there’ll even be one. If there is, I hope I get to reenact a Romy & Michele’s High School Reunion moment.

3. Julika June 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM #

This is great Steph! Although it’s (only) been six years since my high school graduation, I can second everything you said here! I also majored in English (and art history) without having a clue what to do with it, but I know I’ll figure it out eventually. I love your life lesson “Pretending to Be Brave Can Get You Really Far” — I might make it my new motto!

4. Jenny June 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM #

I love this post so much! I think I would tell my younger self the exact same things, except I’d change number 8 to “EAT SOME FOOD YOU CRAZY.”

5. Amielle June 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM #

I’m not exactly far off from the 18-year-old mark, but if you’d told graduating me that in three years I’d have finished a program that I’d ended up loving, that I’d have spent two months in Taiwan (a country I’d never thought of going to), a year in France with a summer planned with time in Sweden and England and a job in Spain all lined up, she would have told you you were crazy because those types of things just don’t happen to her.

Except they have and it’s equal parts frightening and awesome and I have no idea what any of it will lead to, but that’s kind of the really exciting part of all of it.

6. Carmel June 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM #

Great post and you know a lot more at 28 than I ever did, that’s for sure. This year marked 15 years out of high school for me and boy have things ever changed. I think you’re absolutely right about not appreciating where you being one of life’s great tragedies. But at least we have happy things to look back on, too.

I regret ever eating Lean Cuisines, Healthy Choice meals, etc., too. Blech.

7. Amanda June 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM #

LOVE this – and I totally agree with every single one!

8. Beatrice June 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM #

I love this post!
    I also graduated high school 10 years ago, and this is all very, very true.

9. OCDemon June 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM #

Excellent list, and great advice for lots of people. I wonder if you could start a Cosmo-style magazine, but with evil opposite tips, like “how to look good in sweatpants, or just not care,” and “10 reasons why getting boys to notice you is less fun than going on a hike or something,” etc, etc. Headlining article: “Why listening to your peers in high school is basically like asking a penguin how to fly.” This idea would make a billion dollars.

• Steph June 26, 2013 at 7:19 AM #

Haha I love it!

10. Brittany @ Paws for Beer June 26, 2013 at 12:59 AM #

I wish I could go back to my early 20′s and tell myself not to waste money on stupid things that for the most part have probably ended up in the trash because I did not need them. I also would tell myself to travel more before being bogged down with a mortgage and other financial responsibilities (like I have now).

11. Beth June 26, 2013 at 6:11 AM #

Loved this and totally agree!

Especially with number 7… that seemed to really hit hard this past year.

12. Ali June 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM #

Great post! I can really relate to this. It’s been 15 years since my high school graduation, and even in the past 5 years so much has changed for me. I’m totally with you on the high heels, I can’t handle them! And the pictures, yeah how did I ever think I was fat back then?

13. Sam June 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM #

Inspiring stuff. I am also one of the weird people who is still very close with their high school friends.

14. Nadine June 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM #

I’ve just finished university and still haven’t quite got to grips with what’s next so thanks for this post basically saying that’s ok! When you graduate everyone asks what your plan is and to be honest the idea of even flirting with the idea of a long term plan terrifies!

I particularly like number 9, it’s amazing how much you can fake bravery/confidence and actually therefore be confident and brave. After my three years and university I think all my faking has genuinely changed me as a person!

So thank you, you may not be able to go back and tell your 18 year-old self these lessons but I have certainly taken note :)

15. Megan June 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM #

Oh man, all of this is so true. I can particularly relate to the “pretending to be brave” bit. It’s probably one of the most useful skills I’ve picked up post-high school. I’ve had many people from back home say “I never knew you were so brave and adventurous!” Brave isn’t a word I’d use to describe myself…but the pretending part…I’ve got that on lockdown ;-)

16. Suzanne Fluhr (Just One Boomer) June 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM #

I think I’m the oldest person to have posted a comment thus far. (If anyone else has passed 59, they’re older.) Along with 150 other graduates from my graduating class from a Philadelphia all girls public high school, 2 years ago we celebrated our 40th high-school-graduation-a-versary (if it’s not a word, it should be). It was definitely a time for reflection.

I’d say your 10 things are pretty spot on although somehow I managed to skip the Lean Cuisine phase in my 20′s because I never had a freezer that worked well enough to keep frozen food. Although I remember at least my early 20′s as kind of a scary time (my long term memory is better than my short term memory), the arc of one’s 20′s has the potential to be a time of great (maybe even enormous) personal growth. In my 20′s I: I celebrated my 20th birthday while studying for a semester in Bogota, Colombia; visited the Yucatan (the Mexican Minister of Tourism showed us the plans for Cancun!); graduated from college (double major in history and Spanish); made the mistake of marrying my college boyfriend; worked for two years as a paralegal; got divorced; attended and graduated from law school; started my first job as a lawyer; traveled to Spain with a new boyfriend who turned into my future husband; went on a honeymoon in Peru; got married again (31 years ago) — this time to the right guy; and, a month before my 30th birthday, gave birth to our first son. When he was 3 months old, I remember wailing to my mother on the telephone (a land-line, of course) in a totally sleep deprived state, “What will become of me?” Her sage advice was “It will all work out.” I’ll spare you even just the high and low points of next 30 years, but ….. she was right.

It sounds like you’re right on track. Best wishes as you plan your wedding and finish laying the groundwork for your 30′s and so on. Are you going to have thirty-something travel blog?

17. nicole June 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM #

wow! You and I share the same graduation year. =) Honestly, time really DOES fly by. If I could have told myself anything, it would be: you need to go to that party school, not the school everyone thinks you need to go to. I think if I had done that, I would have had a lot more fun.

And, to just let go. if you can’t fix it, let it go.

great piece, btw. =)

18. Alex June 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM #

This is great, and I can relate to it in so many ways (especially number 4). I’ve been single for a year now, and whilst it’s been strange to adjust in many ways, I believe it’s really made me into a better, stronger person. Far better to take time out for yourself than to throw yourself into the wrong relationship!

19. Monserrat July 5, 2013 at 6:25 AM #

Thank you a lot for sharing this, It is really inspiring for me that you accomplished what you wanted. I’m in that part of my life where I need to start my own life. Reading your blog made me feel stronger, and I feel the same when people tell me that I’m brave travelling on my own :S.

I arrived to London yesterday and my suitcase was stolen… I was really sad and angry at the time, but then realized that I really didn’t need it :). Thanks again, you’re great.

20. Chris July 5, 2013 at 6:49 AM #

Fantastic post Steph, I particularly resonated with number 9. Being brave can certainly get you ahead and experience things that sadly others don’t. Quitting a job to travel being one of them.

I would tell my younger self, don’t do things for money, follow your passion. That is the only way to truly be happy.

21. Tiana Kai July 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM #

Heels were a huge thing for me too! Miami is high heel city and I quickly reverted to boots when I moved to Colorado and haven’t looked back!

22. Colleen Brynn July 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM #

Such cute photos of you! x

23. Anneliese July 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM #

I agree with #2 – I haven’t worn heels for years. Ever since I started backpacking 4 years ago, I’ve embraced the casual look – I’ve realised life is so much easier when you go for comfort over fashion!

24. Ria Dancel July 17, 2013 at 6:24 AM #

This is a heart-warming post. Like you, I have had also my shares of bliss and pains in high school. One thing I would like to tell my younger self is that I am one person with much potential. ….now i realize how far I could go so long as I believe in myself.

25. Kaitie @ The Smiling Sightseer July 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM #

Awe I absolutely love this! High school is a unique time. I’ve only been out for five years which blows my mind. Love the “Related: you’ll never appreciate how skinny and beautiful you once were until so much later” on the skinny note. Makes me sad how much time I spent wishing I were skinnier. I’d kill for that bod now!

26. Cherry August 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM #

Thank you for writing this!

I am also 28 and I struggle with the idea of who I thought I was going to be by now (in my 18 year old brain) vs what I have become. Like you, I’ve chosen to make my life an amazing adventure – far from the stable lives that many of my friends are leading.

It’s great to know that there are others who share a similar life philosophy – even if we don’t know each other!