Inside the Angry Birds Activity Park

Did you know that Angry Birds comes from Finland? I definitely didn’t until I arrived and saw Angry Birds stuffed animals, t-shirts, chewing gum and even soda for sale almost everywhere. Finns are not only proud of their contribution to addictive iphone games, they are major customers.

Angry Gum

Rovio, the company that developed Angry Birds, comes from Espoo, Finland’s second biggest city, but you can find Angry Birds related paraphernalia all over the country, from specialty shops at the airport to Angry Bird Activity Parks spread around the nation.

I was lucky enough to be in Saariselka for the grand opening of the newest Angry Bird activity park.

Designed for kids, not adults, it’s basically a giant play ground warehouse with some awesome Angry Birds related activities. There were also computer stations set up around the room where you could play actual angry birds. A series of Xbox Kinects lined one wall for non- Rovio related dance and sports games.

Although made for kids, all ages are welcome at the park where you are even encouraged to participate. It’s an excellent way to kill an hour or two somewhere warm and dry. I also learned an interesting Angry Birds trivia fact: the concept for the game was inspired by the world wide panic surrounding avian flu (birds) and swine flu (pigs). Not sure what that has to do with hurling things at other things, but it sure is fun!

Shooting game

Life size Angry Birds

I visited Inari as a guest of Visit Finland and Northern Lapland Tourism.

14 Responses to Inside the Angry Birds Activity Park

1. Toni February 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM #

Angry Birds for president haha They’re already taking over the world 😀

2. MindfulTravel February 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM #

Such an amazing place!! I didn’t know Angry Birds were created in Finland. Thanks for the intersting post!

3. Jennifer February 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM #

I had no idea Angry Birds comes from Finland! They should make an Angry Birds Finland edition. I’d totally get hooked again.

4. Ruth February 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM #

That is crazy! Well, I shouldn’t said that since I have seen two year olds playing Angry Birds on an iPad. Most of the kids I know have tons of things related to the birds. I can see a park or activity area coming soon to the US.

5. Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) February 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM #

Although far more low-tech, I was greatly amused to see an “Angry Bird” carnival game at the night markets in Taiwan: it essentially just involved hurling large plush AB toys at things and seeing what you could knock over! 😀

6. Gerard ~ GQ trippin March 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM #

Holy moly I can’t believe my eyes. I shouldn’t be surprised given all the crazy AB action lately. But I’d be bouncing all over the places if I was here!

7. Dariece - Goats On The Road March 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM #

Hilarious! It looks like so much fun. By the way my students go mental for Angry Bird stickers, I totally thought they were from China. Who knew?

Cheers.

8. Tom @ Waegook Tom March 9, 2013 at 5:16 AM #

I had NO idea that Angry Birds originated in Finland! This place looks fantastic and I’m pretty sure that 90% of my Korean students would sell their own mother to go there. I’m loving the bench, and would quite like to try the life-size Angry Birds. I’m buzzed right now.

• Steph March 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM #

bwahahah. The life sized Angry Birds was so fun but I had to shove a few little kids out of the way to try it.

9. Aaron @ Aaron's Worldwide Adventures March 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM #

I’m so glad they had a version where you could be the bird flying towards the pig! What great fun!

10. Backpacker Becki March 15, 2013 at 2:11 AM #

This is AWESOME! I’ve been living in Asia for months and Angry Birds are pretty much EVERYWHERE. Not idea it was from Finland. Truth is, I kind of like it 🙂

11. Korey March 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM #

I had no idea that Angry Birds originated in Finland, that is awesome! I am currently researching Finland for a country profile project. Is there any way you or somebody may put me in contact with a person whom you met and or stayed with in Finland? They must either reside there or have spent minimum of 12 months in the country. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

12. cailin March 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM #

My mom just recently got an iphone and my sister downloaded angry birds on to it… she is now addicted. I just showed her this post and now she wants to visit Finland hahaha oh god. There is a reason I have yet to play that game, I’ve heard how addictive it is! 😉