The Dorm Room Sex You’re Not Having

Slightly more risque than my usual content, but this guest post just made me chuckle:

Arguably there is no experience more unique to backpacking than having to share a room with a couple having sex. Whether they are two travelers from opposite sides of the world who have just met or a boyfriend and girlfriend too cheap to spring for a private room, there is nothing more awkward than having to listen to the sounds of unbridled passion coming from the bunk bed next to yours.

sexy

Remarkably, I had made it for six months of travelling without having to experience anything of the sort. This is not to say that the dorm rooms I’ve slept in have been free of any sexual activity but rather, I had been lucky enough to sleep through most nighttime disturbances. When I have been aware of dorm room sex, it has usually been brought to my attention the following day by someone else in the room unfortunate enough to have been awake for it.

However, my luck ran out last New Years’ Eve when I was staying at a party hostel in Bolivia. Coincidently, I bumped into a girl from high school who was also staying at the hostel and she introduced me to her friend, Dylan, who was travelling with her. I wasn’t sure how I felt about Dylan but he seemed interested in me and after a while, I suggested leaving the overcrowded bar to sit in a dorm where it was quieter.

We had been sitting and talking in his room for about half an hour when the lights were abruptly turned off without any notice. In the darkness I could just make out the silhouette of a couple standing by the door locked in a passionate embrace. I burst into a fit of uncontrollable laughter and then I asked Dylan how long he thought it would be before another horny couple came into the room.

We went back to talking normally, assuming that the couple would have left upon realising our presence in the room. I got up to turn the light back on which was when I realised they had not left at all. They were in the furthest bed in the corner having sex.

Two guys came into the room and turned the light on. I was equally disturbed and overcome with laughter. The two guys had their backs faced to the couple and they asked me why I was laughing which only made me laugh even harder. Perhaps the couple finally realized that they had company because they stopped for a few minutes before starting up again.

I had always thought it would be amusing to watch a couple having sex but it was actually more disturbing than hilarious. I could make out the distinct thrusts of the guy’s buttocks from under the blanket, hear the girl’s soft moans.

I hoped that the sounds of our voices would be enough to make them stop but even talking about them loudly wasn’t enough of a deterrent. After twenty minutes of trying of pretend they weren’t in the room, I had enough and went to bed.

Admittedly, I have been guilty of having (quiet) sex in dorms with other people present but after the experience of being the third party, it has made me think twice about it. There are a multitude of places in hostels where you can go should you find a willing partner; showers; kitchens, terraces, TV rooms. At night, these places are perfect as it is unlikely that you will be disturbed by someone wanting to use them.

What are your thoughts on dorm room sex? Have you ever done it or had to sit through it?

Anneliese is a travel blogger from Australia. You can read about her recent travels on All Signs Point To Yes

19 Responses to The Dorm Room Sex You’re Not Having

1. Lauren July 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM #

Hahahaha! I can’t believe they just carried on regardless.

I’ve been pretty lucky, I’ve only had to go through this once so far….

I remember being in a 3 bed dorm and having to share the room with an elderly couple one night. I couldn’t believe it when I heard them clambering into bed together late at night, and what followed were some of the most horrific noises of slurping, sticky, sweaty, grunting sex. ARGH.

Scarred for life.

The next morning the woman opened her suitcase and took out a kettle and toaster and made me toast and a cup of tea!

Not at all awkward….

• Matt July 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM #

This sounds like a nightmare! Old people sex!

2. Dave July 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM #

I don’t care how quiet you think you’re being, other people can here you. And it’s awkward and inconsiderate.

Maybe at 35, I’ve simply lost my patience for nightly disturbances in hostels, which is why I now prefer to pay for private rooms when possible, if not rent apartments when I’m staying a few weeks or more.

• Dave July 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM #

*hear you

3. Callie July 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM #

Haha that’s so disturbing. I think I’d have to throw a shoe or two their way!

4. Sarah July 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM #

Hahahahaha. While I’ve been tempted to have dorm room sex, I never actually have – perhaps I am still scarred by the “earthquakes” I would wake up to in college. Newsflash: if somebody is on the top bunk of the bed you’re having sex in, they will notice what’s going on.

5. Julie July 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM #

HAHAH wow! I am so lucky to never have gone through this (heavy sleeper)! But it was new years.. out of all nights of the year to stay in a multi person room, probably not the night

6. Katie July 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM #

Oh wow I can’t even imagine being awake for that. Luckily I’m a really heavy sleeper, so even if that did happen (and they were being super noisy) I doubt I’d have any trouble falling asleep. Although what I would dream about would probably not end up being too pleasant lol

7. Ian [EagerExistence] July 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM #

I’ve stayed in hostels where at least 2 people were masturbating, a couple was having sex, and another 2-3 were snoring. Berlin baby.

8. Colm July 13, 2012 at 9:09 AM #

First of all, hats off to Anneliese for admitting she’s done the deed in a dorm full of other people.

Of all the years I’ve been staying in hostels I’ve never shared a room with a couple having sex. I have, on the other hand, sat beside a couple on a plane (who had just met each other) get to third base. Horrible experience.

• Anneliese July 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM #

My pet hate is being seated next to an affectionate couple. Especially when you have been allocated the window seat. Airplane claustrophobia at its worst

9. Hilarye July 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM #

Sometimes you gotta ring in the New Year with a bang

10. Meg | One Love Meg July 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM #

That’s pretty bad. My bf and I are traveling around the world right now, spending a lot of time in hostels. There just isn’t a desire for us to partake in “that” adventure. We prefer the private rooms as well, or even a private area anywhere!

11. Anneliese July 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM #

I’ve only had sex in a dorm room on two occasions – hopefully the other people in the room were deep sleepers and weren’t woken up. Afterwards, I did feel bad about it and wouldn’t do it again.

Even if it kills the spontaneity of hooking up with someone you have just met, getting a private room is always the far better option!

12. Waegook Tom July 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM #

They carried on even though they could hear you talking about them?!? Nooooooo! I think dorm room sex is NEVER acceptable, unless you’re the only two in the dorm. Spring for a private room if you want to get it on! If it’s spontaneous, then take it somewhere out of the dorm and experience the city you’re in in a whole new way in that case!

13. Melissa August 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM #

AWKWARD ……

Thankfully, I sleep like a rock. I’ve never noticed a nighttime rendezvous before despite having spent the better part of a year sleeping in dorm rooms. Still, for a couple to have sex while people are awake and talking is beyond me. Lol they must have been really drunk or taken some serious Bolivian aphrodisiac :)

14. Mike April 14, 2014 at 7:15 AM #

Worst three nights in a hostel ever spent were in the notorious Bob’s Youth Hostel in Amsterdam. This place was a real pit. Tri-level bunks, guys and girls were not segregated and it’s proximity to the Red Light District and a couple of hash bars. I would have stayed elsewhere, but there was a big festival going on and every place else was booked. Night one- the guy in the bunk right above climbs into bed and immediately starts masturbating. And not quietly. 20 minutes of “uh uh uh uh uh uh” and a violently shaking bed and then he CLIMBS OUT giving me the Full Monty not a foot in front of my face, chest covered with you know what and heads for the showers. Night two: one in the morning and the French couple in the bunks right next to me arrive back in the room and decide it would be a great time for her to give him oral before they climb into bed.Night three- the WORST. New guy in the room, American like me. He gets the bunk right below me.We hit it off and end up hanging around with each other that evening, having more than a few beers and smoking about a gram of Black Turkish hash between us. We get back, hit the sack and 45 minutes later I suddenly wake up to find him groping me under the sheets.

15. Mike April 15, 2014 at 7:00 AM #

The above happened in 1981. I should have had a clue about the guy who groped me- when we were at the hash bar he started to flirt with me a bit and kept putting his hand on my knee and rubbing it. When I awoke he had his hand down my underwear. I just rolled over without saying a word. I had a few other experiences- camping with a buddy at a small primitive campground in Central California there was a couple in the site right next to us. They were older, probably late 40′s. Their tent was no more than 15 feet from ours and about an hour after we hit the sack they started to go at it very loudly. The best part was her SCREAMING “I’m gonna cum! I’m gonna cum!” My buddy and I were laughing so hard we practically peed ourselves. Then there was the convention from hell- four nights in San Diego having to share a hotel room with a coworker I didn’t particularly care for. We arrived on a late flight, got to the room, ordered room service, and he immediately jumps into the shower. While he was in the shower the food arrived. I’m lying in bed, watching TV and eating my sandwich when out of the bathroom he comes stark naked. He grabs his sandwich off the tray, then proceeds to jump onto the other side of my bed, sit back and start eating his sandwich. Still naked. In my bed. Turns out he was a nudist. For the next two hours I had to listen to him rant on and on about the nudist lifestyle and how wonderful it is. The next morning the alarm goes off- and I find out he’s a morning person. Not only does he jump out of bed smiling and chatting away, but his “morning glory” was very much right out in the open. He was fully erect and walking around with it bouncing up and down without a care in the world. Needless to say, I did not spend much time in our room during that convention.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Best Travel Blog Posts of the Week Ending July 13 - Travel Freak - July 13, 2012

[...] The Dorm Room Sex You’re Not Having // Twenty-Something Travel [...]