Revolutionize Your Travel Dining Experience with Eat the World!

Back in November 2011, Mike and I were bouncing along a winding road in Southern Colombia when I had an idea. “There should be an app that tells you the local food specialties in different places.”

Different regions in Colombia each had their own specialties, and we kept almost missing out on them b/c we didn’t know what to look for. As serious food lovers we found it frustrating that the only way to get a good idea of what to look out for in a new countries cuisine was to leaf through lonely planet or ask around. I wanted a database of interesting foods all in one place at my fingertips.

Well there wasn’t any app that seemed to do what we wanted, so we decided to make one! It was more of a struggle than we expected, but I’m now thrilled to announce our new creation to you:

Meet Eat the World.

Eat the World is an iphone app designed to help you figure out what to eat in different parts of the world. I’m not talking about restaurant recommendations, there are thousands of resources for that already. No, this is going to help you find local dishes to try, specific to whatever part of the world you are visiting.

In Andalusia? Don’t leave without trying the Gazpacho Andaluz.

In Xi’an, China? Don’t miss out on Jing Gao, a special sweet with muslim chinese influence.

And if you find yourself in the Andes region of Colombia, don’t you dare miss trying one of my personal favorites: Chocolate con Queso.

And so on. These reccomendations are based on both personal experience and research. For each entry you can see a picture of the dish, a description of it’s contents and significance and the spelling or traditional characters so that you can use the app itself to order if you can’t pronounce the dish. In places like China this app will be very helpful for ordering food when you can’t read characters on the menu.

So far we have a lot of great countries including China, Thailand, Vietnam, France, Spain, Colombia, Uruguay and more. We even have regional US foods. Over time it will grow to encompass even more countries. We’re currently working to add Fiji, Mexico, Argentina and more. Suggestions are always welcome, for both locations and dishes.

Even better, it costs less than a tip at a restaurant: only $1.99!

I don’t mean to bombard you with marketing copy, but I AM excited to share with you. I think that ETW will be a great resource for travelers who love food. We created something that we as travelers would like to have, and I hope it will add value to your travels as well.

Learn more about Eat the World here.

14 Responses to Revolutionize Your Travel Dining Experience with Eat the World!

1. Aryn June 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM #

I have an andriod, not an iphone and don’t really use apps, but would love to use this one! Is this app available for android? Not really sure how it works to be honest as I am a disgrace with technology.

• Steph June 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM #

Not yet, but a lot of people have been requesting it so we’re going to look into it!

2. Jaime June 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM #

I don’t have an iPhone or have ever used an app in my life, but if I did this is one I would love for sure. I agree I hate looking up ONLINE or in a guidebook what is the speciality of a certain place. Just curious: do yall accept entries from people or is it just the two of you collecting research? I ask because I could add a few for Egypt.

3. Gray June 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM #

This is a GREAT idea, Steph! I love finding out what the local specialties are before I go somewhere new. But… I also have an Android, so I’d love it if you’d look into creating an app for Android. :-)

4. Paige June 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM #

What a great idea! I’ll go download it right now!

5. Osvaldo June 6, 2012 at 6:25 PM #

Good piece of app to share with the world Steph! Just a doubt: who create it? Don’t expect I want to steal the idea, nahhh :D

Cheers!

6. Vacay Girl June 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM #

Well that’s awesome. Why don’t you start a website to correlate with the app as well. That might take up too much of your time between this and that but the app is a great idea!

7. Greg June 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM #

Great idea!

8. Amanda June 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM #

This is an awesome idea for an app! If you need any NZ suggestions, don’t hesitate to ask! :)

9. promotenav June 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM #

Are there any websites that could let us know about this? Cos not all ppl are I-phone users.

This could be a cool thing if we get to know. Also, Steph, thank you for sharing this .

10. Daniel June 14, 2012 at 1:03 AM #

Brilliant Idea! Maybe you could also include an app listing the specialties to possibly avoid. For me, the East African dish ugali comes to mind! At least it’s fun to play with! Ugali > Play-Doh.

11. Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) June 24, 2012 at 1:52 PM #

Love the idea behind this app! I know that whenever I travel, I always want to try the local dishes because I really think that’s one of the best ways to see a place like the locals do. I don’t have an iphone, but I do have an iPad that I’m planning to bring on my upcoming RTW trip so I think this will be considered a must-buy app before we leave!