Find Out Where I’m Headed Next!

I think that our decision to come home this May surprised people a bit. It surprised US, to be honest. We originally expected to be traveling up through Bolivia and Peru, which would put us in South America until late June. As I’ve mentioned before in the past though, when you know, you know. We were tired, we missed our families and logistically, coming home for awhile made the most sense.

I’m pretty psyched about it. I’ll be spending a good chunk of time in DC with my family, working hard on various businesses, saving money, and plotting to conquer Europe in the fairly near future. I project that Mike and I will be based in the United States at least until the end of the year- the longest I will have been home in several years.

Don’t get discouraged though, the story isn’t over, not by a long shot. Of course I can’t stay still for long. Although there are no immediate plans for extended trips, I’ve got a LOT of plans for smaller ones. Only a week after getting home I’m headed back across the sea again. This time I’m headed far…

First Up…. FIJI

I could NOT possibly be more excited about this! Next week, Mike and I will be traveling, as guests of the Air Pacific and the Fiji Tourism Board to the South Pacific. The theme is adventure travel, and there are some really cool activities planned.

The trip starts on the 13th so be sure to follow along with the #FijiMe hashtag and on facebook where I’ll be posting lots of stories and pictures. And expect lots of luscious, jealousy inducing articles in a couple of weeks.

Since I know very little about Fiji (other then it’s very far away, thank goodness for my kindle), I’ve started a pinterest board to collect all the info I can on the place. Please check it out, and if you have anything to add, let me know.

Denver and Keystone, Colorado- TBEX 2012

This June for the third year in a row I’ll be attending the TBEX convention (read about New York and Vancouver. This year will be extra special because I’m not just attending TBEX as a participant, but as a member of the programming committee and more importantly, as a speaker. Along with Spud Hilton, the travel editor of the San Francisco Chronicle, I will be leading a session on “10 Steps to Writing that Better Engages (and Keeps) Your Readers.

Beforehand Mike and I will spend a couple of days exploring Denver. I don’t know much about what to expect (except high altitude, ugh, so suggestions welcome!

Girly Time Jacksonville

Almost directly after TBEX I’m ditching Mike and jetting down to Jacksonville, Florida with two of my best friends from college. My biggest supporter, friend and cake baker Kim is getting married in September, so this is a sort of bachelorette party long weekend. We’re not exactly girls gone wild, but I am expecting some cocktail fueled hijinks.

After June…

Here’s where things get interesting. I don’t have any solid plans yet, but I’m open to whatever curve balls life throws at me. In September Mike and I will be headed to Seattle and the Pacific NW, and we’re hoping to swing a few weeks in Europe this fall. In addition to exploring the DC area I’m sure I’ll be taking some trips to the Poconos, New York and Boston. Who knows what else! I am in love with the possibilities.

What are your summer travel plans?

21 Responses to Find Out Where I’m Headed Next!

1. allison May 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM #

I think you should factor in a trip to Maine while I’m still up here – I’d love to see the area through the eyes of travel-blogges!

2. Kimi S. May 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM #

Looking forward to meeting you & Mike at TBEX. Hope you have a fabulous time in Fiji. Can’t wait to hear about your adventures. Heading there at the top of 2013!

3. Efrutik May 8, 2012 at 4:41 PM #

First off nice meeting you yesterday. I was in the crowd at the DCTravelTweetup. So welcome back to US!!! It’s cool you are sharing more here of what you have shared yesterday as well. I think Fiji is nice, look forward to learning about it from your experience.

So the TBEX huh, I think I ‘m going to try to check out the Spain conference since I’ll be in Europe at the time. Until then you have introduced me to this whole new culture, and I shall explore it more on the web.

Hope you will enjoy your stay “home”.

Cheers

4. Gigi May 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM #

Denver tips: Grab some tasty tapas at The 9th Door on Blake Street or have an amazing dipping experience at the next door Vesta Dipping Grill. Both are totally amazing. If you hit the 9th Door, try the artichokes.

For pizza: Protos is the best, just outside downtown.

For small town charm not far away, try Evergreen. It’s cute and small and in the mountains-ish. Plus, lots of hiking trails out of there (and it’s close to Red Rocks, which is worth a look).

If you want to hang outside and enjoy the nice weather, try City Park near downtown for a nice walk or CRU in Larimer Square for a great patio experience (do the back patio!) and some wine tasting. Bistro Vendome is also a great patio experience, plus some kick-ass French food. It’s also in Larimer Square.

5. Sally May 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM #

Wahoo! I’m excited. If only for selfish reasons as I’m sure I’ll be in DC plenty in the fall or winter, so we’d better meet up!

6. Sandra_Kathleen May 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM #

Looking forward to seeing pics of Fiji! I can imagine that there is no such thing as ‘too many pictures of Fiji’. I’d love to see them all! What islands will you be traveling to? Have fun and enjoy your time. 🙂

7. Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) May 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM #

Oh, so jealous that you’re going to Fiji! I’d love to visit there, but it seems pricey to get there, and then remains pricey once you are there! I very much look forward to hearing all about it so I can live vicariously through you!

8. Andrea May 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM #

The Fiji trip sounds awesome! It’ll also be fun to explore the US like a tourist since it will all be new and exciting to you again.

9. Jill May 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM #

Wow! Looks like you have some awesome plans for the near future. My summer will be spent coming home to the Pacific Northwest, exploring new parts of Canada (Alberta & Ontario), swinging through Vermont and New Hampshire, heading down to LA, back to Portland, and then off to Australia via Fiji. I’m excited. I’ll be looking for your Fiji photos to help us plan our trip!

10. Michelle (@wanderstruck) May 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM #

I can’t wait to follow you and Mike on the Fiji trip! Sounds absolutely amazing.

I live in Denver and am happy to offer suggestions on sights, food, craft beer, etc. for the city and in Summit County (Keystone area). Will you be staying downtown? And will you have a rental car? If so, I highly recommend a day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. If you like beer, do the free 90-minute tour (which includes beer samples along the way) at New Belgium in Fort Collins. It is definitely worth the trip and there’s other good breweries in the bike-friendly town, but you do have to reserve the NB tour in advance since it books up. In Denver, check out Strange Brewing Co., Great Divide, Wynkoop and Renegade if you can. Rockies games are fun and you can get Rock Pile tickets for $5. And if you’re around on a Sunday, go to City Park Jazz for a local experience. Feel free to contact me if you need any other info. Cheers!

11. avaapollo May 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM #

Nothing wrong with DC. I’d happily return there as well. I still have visions of Jumbo Slice from AdMo (are the cool kids still calling it that? Did I get it right?)

• Steph May 15, 2012 at 1:56 AM #

I’m not a cool kid but I definitely call it a Jumbo Slice!

12. Michael Hodson May 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM #

Enjoy some well deserved time home and escape before the weather turns cold again 😉

13. This Battered Suitcase May 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM #

Even though I am sitting on a beach here in Belize, I am insanely jealous that you are on your way to Fiji! That has always been one of my dream destinations…

All of your summer plans sound wonderful; I wish I could make it to TBEX, but I will be exploring Central and South America for the next 8 months. I’ll definitely be checking out your blog for tips!

14. EM @ Cubicle Throwdown May 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM #

Wow, definitely jealous of your Fiji trip – it’s the place that got away for me, I had a nearly free trip there once and it slipped through my hands. I am determined to still get there someday! Also looking forward to hearing about TBEX, there are sure a lot of people planning on going.

15. Waegook Tom May 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM #

Fiji! That sounds awesome Steph – please, don’t post too many photos of beaches and palm trees, or I may end up sobbing into my keyboard here!

16. Alex May 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM #

I’m heading home tomorrow for a very similar summer-based at home but with tons of domestic and a bit of international travel. Totally jealous about Fiji, and I can’t wait to meet you at TBEX!

17. Bobbi Lee Hitchon May 10, 2012 at 3:52 AM #

Big plans!! Home will be nice, but so will Fiji. Safe travels.

18. Jeremy Branham May 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM #

Wow, Fiji – that will be awesome! You will have a nice tan by the time you get to Denver! 🙂

Look forward to seeing you there. I am very disappointed that I won’t be able to attend your session on writing. Because of scheduling conflicts, I will only be at the conference on Saturday and yours isn’t until Sunday. I am bummed that I can’t stay for the entire event but hope I can make the most of it.

I’ve been to Jacksonville many years ago and had a lot of fun. Great town and not as touristy as other beach cities in Florida. Have fun!

• Steph May 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM #

Aww that’s a shame you won’t be able to make it Sunday, but it will be nice to see you too!

19. Nicole May 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM #

Sounds like a great start to the year. Fiji is a place Cameron and I are dying to see….can’t wait to follow your trip.