Dogs in South America (Doggie Pics!!!)

South America is indeed a dog lover’s paradise! People love their dogs.¬†Unlike in Asia and Europe, where the stray dogs will break your heart, most of the stray dogs in Latin America look strong and happy. Someone is feeding them and in some cases they even looked loved. This meant that a dog-less dog-lover like myself could ooh and awe at the puppies without my heart breaking.

Here are some of my fave (mostly stray) dogs I’ve encountered over the past 7 months:

Dexter, our housesitting charge in Bogota

17 Responses to Dogs in South America (Doggie Pics!!!)

1. Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) May 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM #

I’ve often heard that the biggest rabies threat is in South American countries because of all the stray dogs… did you ever find yourself worrying about this or do you think that’s a misconception?

• Steph May 22, 2012 at 5:47 AM #

Personally I was much more afraid of the dogs I saw in Eastern Europe which would snarl and chase people. Most of the dogs I saw in South America seemed pretty chilled out. It might be a problem in more rural place though…

2. Waegook Tom May 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM #

Every city in the world should immediately have a doggy mural commissioned a la the one you’ve posted a photo of here. NOW.

Dogs in Korea are…hmm…small and rather sickly looking. However, there is the occasional dog cafe where you can play with all different breeds rather than little white rats with their tails and ears dyed rainbow colours.

3. Chrystal McKay May 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM #

It is SO nice in South America isn’t it? The only problem for me, at least in Buenos Aires, is the amount of Dog Poop…Everywhere! It is a little out of control in that city. But at least the dogs are nourished and friendly everywhere! I am also a sucker for ohh’ing and aww’ing at all the dogs. :)

4. Lauren May 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM #

The dogs in pics two and three are especially adorable! When I was in Spain they referred to the dogs as “hippie dogs” because they were free to roam around, even if they had owners. No leash laws were enforced there. I’d see a dog walk by that I’d assume was stray and a few minutes later the owner would follow.

5. Tawny- Captain and Clark May 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM #

Obsessed! This is definitely the kind of thing that I would post. We always find ourselves surrounded by four-legged friends when we travel. I’m surprised we haven’t brought one home yet. :)

• Steph May 22, 2012 at 5:46 AM #

Me too, I just want to adopt every big eyed puppy I see.

6. Sam May 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM #

Nice pics – you’re right, they do mostly look pretty happy and well fed.

7. Robyn May 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM #

The bulldog in the first picture is so adorable!

8. Ali May 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM #

They are so cute! I especially like the one who’s sticking his head out from under the table.

9. Emily in Chile May 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM #

So many of the street dogs in Santiago are just awesome – they’re health and happy and clearly have very important doggie things to do, but sometimes they come and say hello or walk with you for a couple blocks. Loved these pics!

10. LozinTransit May 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM #

Just like people, Countries are either Dog people or Cat people. South America seems like Dog people. But like people should we start judging the Country (some might say unfairly) – for their pet allegiances :)

11. Scott May 25, 2012 at 3:47 AM #

As always, a big fan of the pup posts. Julia & I actually just “met” the coolest mom & pup combo last night here in Melaka. We liked them so much we may sneak them a piece of chicken from our local Indian restaurant over the weekend.

12. Kim May 29, 2012 at 7:52 AM #

Dog photos always cheer me up, though other countries aren’t so kind and welcoming to them. Did you notice any odd behavior locals had interacting with the strays?

13. Kaylin May 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM #

I’ve always been more of a cat person (don’t judge me), because we only had cat growing up and my neighbor had big dogs that scared me when I was a child. But that bulldog in the first picture is adorable! I’ve come to enjoy dogs alot more since being in my 20s and, although I still don’t think I’ll be a dog owner anytime soon, I have come to actually like and enjoy being around dogs.

14. Ross October 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM #

Great topic. I love dogs and I too was impressed with the strays in South America. None of them ever bothered me and as you say most of them are healthy. I stayed with a family when in Quito and they had a mastif which look at you face to face if they go up on their back legs!

15. Nancy N March 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM #

The way you are describing the street dog situation is not accurate, at least not in Santiago. Just returned from Santiago and saw many sad and unhealthy looking dogs. Life is tough on the street and they follow you around and seem sad. Even worse is that cars hit these dogs! Our driver hit one and the sounds it made were excruciating. The driver didn’t even care – told us it meant nothing and wouldn’t even stop to check to see if it was dead. Free roaming dogs and traffic don’t mix and the some people’s attitudes there are awful. What we need is to improve the situation not say it is fine.