Goodbye South East Asia!

There’s something about South East Asia that backpackers just love. The combination of easy tourist infrastructue, low prices, friendly people and great food is just irresistable to budget travelers. If you have travelled around the world, or if you are planning to, chances are your trip includes a substrantial amount of time in this part of the world. As it should, although I struggle a bit with the tourism industry here, South East Asia is fantastic.

Where else can you find such a dazzline array of settings and details that make travel so worthwhile?

The Beaches

Bee liquor in Vang Vieng, Laos

Bangkok, Thailand

The People

Mike's new bestfriend in Dalat, Vietnam

Phonsavan, Laos

Siem Reap, Cambodia

I left South East Asia on kind of a bummer note, burned out and ready for a break, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t completely enjoy my three months there. There’s so much I didn’t get to see as well: Northern Thailand and Burma, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. I’m sure I’ll be back…. just like everyone else I can’t resist South East Asia’s charm.

10 Responses to Goodbye South East Asia!

1. LLoyd April 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM #

Hey Steph!
    I’m working in Korea at the moment. I haven’t had a chance to explore SE Asia yet, but it’s the stories and pictures (especially the…weird stuff) like these you and others share that make me keep counting down the days!
    As always, thanks for the great stuff – can’t wait to hear about your future journeys.

2. Claire April 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM #

you are correct-it is dazzling, and can also be dizzling!! i spent two months there in various countries and would jump at the chance to go back. onward and forward now right? you get to relax a little and stay a while.

• Steph April 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM #

Yup, onward and onward! Many more adventures ahead 🙂

3. Crystal April 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM #

Must be sad to leave!

I was never much of a beach person, but they’re definitely some of the nicest in the world… and you’re right about the unbelievably tasty food (super affordable and cheap pad thai!), and the historic influences at every turn.

• Steph April 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM #

Man I will really miss that pad thai, like a LOT.

4. Dalene - Hecktic Travels April 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM #

SE Asia will always be there to return to… 🙂

That pic of the kid on the bus cracked me up! Hilarious!

• Steph April 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM #

She was so adorable- she and mike spent at least 45 minutes making fart jokes together. Some things are universal i guess.

5. travelroach April 14, 2011 at 10:20 PM #

Lovely photos…I wish I was in SE Asia right now. It’s snowing today in my city in Canada.

6. janet June 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM #

that donuts picture is RAD!!

i am seriously considering visiting the states for a bit which sortof depends on landing a location independent job/client. but i would really miss Asia for sure (not to mention, my boyfriend).

• Steph June 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM #

If you do come to the states, and make it by DC, in the next few months let me know!