I’ve been travelling for about 5 months straight now… a pretty freaking long time fo most people in the world. Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about how well my expectation matched up with the reality of long-term travel. Some things have worked out exactly how I planned, and other’s not so much. One thing I’ve realized is that I can actually do without a lot of the comforts of home quite easily. Much more easily than I could have anticipated.
Things that I Surprisingly Do Not Miss:
My wardrobe– At home I had a lot of clothes- something for every possible occasion and then some. Now, I consider myself a fashion success if I don’t wear the same t-shirt three days in a row. If we conveniently ignore my fashion freak out last week, downsizing to an absolutely tiny wardrobe has been no problem at all. I barely even notice anymore.
- Wearing make-up– On a similar note, I used to wear make-up every single day- to work, to the bars, wherever. Now I might put on a little mascara and eye shadow if I’m going out on the town, but otherwise I am fresh faced every single day. No hair dryers or straightening irons either. And the weird thing is I really don’t think I look any different than I did before.
- Owning Stuff– This really ties in with the top two. Before I left I was pretty worried with how I would deal with living out of a backpack without all of the amenities I’d been so used to all my life. Turned out it really hasn’t been a big deal. I have the things I need, I find the things I don’t and when it comes down to it- I really don’t need all that much.
- My Social Life– I super love my friends, and at home I used to go out to happy hours, sporting events and bars on a multi-weekly basis. Nowadays I’m usually too tired, or busy working to go out most nights. But that’s okay, when I DO manage to get out I meet all sorts of interesting new people, instead of being clustered with my friends at the table in the corner. Plus, beer is cheaper here anyway.
- Western Food- I get the occasional serious Mexican food craving, but usually I’m too busy eating awesome local food to care. Anyways, if I’m seriously jonesing, a slice of pizza is usually not too far away.
- Diet Coke– This one’s a cheat- turns out you can find coke products pretty much anywhere in the world, so my addiction can continue unchallenge.
What are some things that you thought you would miss about home, but shockingly have not?