May Update and Links

Spring is finally here- hopefully to stay this time and it seems like after eons of waiting, so many things in my life are finally being set in motion.

My efforts at trip planning have picked up (thanks to your helpful advice) and I am headed in to get my shots tomorrow. I’m beginning to gear up for the Travel Blog Exchange Conference at the end of June in New York.

I’m also very excited about the contest we are running on the site this week with HotelsCombined.com. Be sure to enter here if you haven’t already.

Here is a rundown of what has been going on this month:

• Early this month a blog post of mine was featured on the front page of the BBC, thanks to my affiliation with Lonely Planet. That was a really exciting day for me as you all know what an anglophile I am. Fame was fleeting but I took pictures:
  • I wrote what might be my favorite guest post I’ve ever done, for the terrific new blog C’est Christine. Please stop by and read my piece: How Not to Meet Creeps in London.
  • I was interviewed twice this month. Once for Nile Guide for their Nile Guide 5 series. The second was for my samuri internship master Andy at Sharing Experiences.
  • In a really sweet gesture, Simon and Erin of Never Ending Voyage named me one of the Next Generation of Travel Bloggers and posted a big ol picture of me. There are some really awesome blogs on that list so be sure to check it out.
  • Earlier this month I received a lovely package of vegemite samples from Chris, the Aussie Nomad.  Vegemite, if you didn’t know, is a creepy yeasty spread destested by everyone not born in Australia. Fearlessly, I invited my friend Eddie over for an experimental taste testing. I think Chris is going to post the video on his site as well, but you can see our reactions here:

Finally, here are my top picks from around the web this month:

That’s all for this month. In late June I’ll be up in NYC for TBEX with 300 hundred other travel bloggers. In between now and then be on the look out for articles about immunizations, puppies and how to be a good host.

Shares

26 Responses to May Update and Links

1. Andy Hayes | Sharing Travel Experiences May 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM #

So, just for the record: vegemite does not taste like whisky.

If nothing else, it’s a bit salty.

And its awesome. Keep trying :)
    .-= Andy Hayes | Sharing Travel Experiences´s last blog ..Behind the Bar with Jetside Johnny =-.

• Steph May 27, 2010 at 11:27 PM #

I think I need to try some marmite for comparison.

• Poi May 29, 2010 at 2:17 PM #

You need to try Marmite! or you could just take my word for it……amazing stuff.

2. Mike Barish May 27, 2010 at 8:11 PM #

Thanks for including me! Glad you enjoyed the post. So much to love about Yellowstone and so incredibly inspiring.

• Steph May 27, 2010 at 11:37 PM #

sure thing mike!

3. Eduardo May 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM #

XOXOXO, love you, STEPH.

• Steph May 28, 2010 at 8:29 AM #

Thanks for being my guinea pig!

4. Matt May 28, 2010 at 12:47 AM #

Comparing Vegemite to whiskey is an insult to whiskey!

Sounds like you had a busy month. Thanks for sharing the links, some gems there I missed.
    .-= Matt´s last blog ..An Update & Travel Question =-.

• Steph May 28, 2010 at 8:29 AM #

I didn’t realize how busy it was til I summed it up here! Someday I will slow down, I swear.

5. Andrea May 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM #

Hahahaha my favorite part of this video is the long pause while I wait in suspense for you guys to put into words what vegemite really tastes like.

Great links.

• Steph May 28, 2010 at 8:28 AM #

I feel like I missed an oppurtunity to be more descriptive. I was just so overcome with flavor!

6. Anil May 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM #

You took the challenge well! Has me even more curious to try it now…

7. Suzy May 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM #

Thanks for the mention here Stephanie! Glad you enjoyed the post. I am in good company.
    .-= Suzy´s last blog ..Traveling With Full Passion, Easier Said Than Done =-.

8. Andrew May 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM #

Wow you have a lot going on Steph. Glad to see your blog doing so well in such a short amount of time. Looking forward to seeing updates from your RTW trip later this year. See you at TBEX!

• Steph May 29, 2010 at 12:14 AM #

Thanks Andrew! I owe it all to the great help I’ve gotten along the way :). See you in June!

9. Dave May 29, 2010 at 1:51 AM #

Hey thanks heaps for the mention! Like Suzy, I feel that I’m in esteemed company… ;-)

PS: Great work on the Vegemite challenge – you def. seemed to enjoy it more than Candice did!
    .-= Dave´s last blog ..Q&A with author Patrick O’Neil =-.

• Steph May 29, 2010 at 9:35 AM #

Well I DO try to see the best in everything!

You’re welcome on the mention.

10. Everywhereist May 29, 2010 at 2:28 AM #

Vegemite has always fascinated me – someone told me it’s created during the process of beer-making. Someone looked at the sludge in the vat and said, “Let’s put that on toast!”

Congrats on the love from the BBC and the guest posts!

• Steph May 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM #

Thanks! I am definitely curious on the origins of vegemite….

• Dave May 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM #

Pretty sure that story is true.

I just drove past the factory where they make Vegemite here in Melbourne (“The Home of Vegemite”, according to the 10 foot high billboard on the side). You can always tell when they’re brewing it up – the smell of my breakfast is wafting across 10 lanes of motorway! ;-)
        .-= Dave´s last blog ..Q&A with author Patrick O’Neil =-.

• Steph May 30, 2010 at 8:36 AM #

Ooh do they do tours? I may have to add that to my itinerary.

11. ehalvey May 29, 2010 at 4:11 PM #

Thank you for the stress article in the round up! My parents are flying to Europe for the first time (in about 2 weeks!), and I have to admit that flying with my husband can be stressful. I’m in the George Clooney in Up in the Air school of thought, lol.
    .-= ehalvey´s last blog ..Pantone Hotel!!! =-.

• Steph May 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM #

I get really stressed traveling with my family as well, I much prefer to fly alone.

12. Candice May 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM #

Wooot! See you in just a few weeks!
    .-= Candice´s last blog ..Sometimes Growing Up in a Bilingual Country Sucks =-.

13. Tina Hill June 19, 2010 at 6:23 AM #

I enjoyed my trip a lot with my hubby it was really cool. Really great site….