Dalmatia in Pictures

There is a reason that Croatia is such a European hot spot, and that reason is the stunning Dalmatia Coast. During my Australian Party Island Hopping Cruise I got to see quite a bit of the golden island which dot this corner of the Adriatic. Here are some of the highlights.

The heart of the coastal city Split are the remains of Diocletians Palace. This was originally  fourth century retirement home for the Roman Emperor, the walls have since been incorporated into the old city.

The Roman palace at night. These remains are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Mljet National Park on Mljet Island. Mljet is known for it’s two large and clear salt lakes.

So clear I could see the many sea urchins and refused to go swimming!

Catch of the day on the island of Korcula (allegedly the birthplace of Marco Polo)

Another UNESCO Site: The famous city of Dubrovnik. Full of tourists as usual!

My grandparents visited Dubrovnik almost 40 years ago and it’s just as popular today. It was severely damaged during the Balkan wars but thankfully it has been restored and gleams like the shiny, slippery jewel it is.

The walk along the city walls which enclose the Old Town is long, sometimes strenuous, and unfailingly beautiful and surprising.

Colorful cactus garden on the lively island of Hvar.

The thirteenth century old town square in Hvar Town.

View of Hvar harbor from the hill fortress.

One of my favorite pictures! A lonely tree on Croatia’s most famous beach, Zlatni Rat.

A church on the island of Brac.

, , , , , ,

10 Responses to Dalmatia in Pictures

1. Abhi April 18, 2010 at 10:37 AM #

Hey! I have seen that lone tree photo before! Isn’t it the one on the Facebook page? 😀

As usual, beautiful pics Steph! 🙂
    .-= Abhi´s last blog ..The beauty of stillness =-.

• Steph April 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM #

You are correct! Thank you.

2. Christine April 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM #

The water is so clear and beautiful! What great pictures–thanks for sharing!
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Worrying is like a Ferris wheel: you go around without really getting anywhere =-.

• Steph April 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM #

It was kind of creepy to see fish swimming 20 feet below you…

3. Matt April 18, 2010 at 11:04 PM #

Did you try to catch and eat the sea urchin eggs? It’s an expensive delicacy – I tried some we caught this weekend, and it certainly isn’t a tasty, expensive delicacy!
    .-= Matt´s last blog ..Friday Travel Photo: Cliffs of Moher, Ireland =-.

• Steph April 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM #

haha I’ve never heard of that! Although based on your recommendation, I might just steer clear.

4. beth April 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM #

looks amazing!
    .-= beth´s last blog ..Somewhere In Time – Welcome to Panguitch. (Utah, USA) =-.

5. Josh May 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM #

Wonderful photos, Steph! Your post reminded me about a destination I’ve wanted to visit for a while now 🙂 I mentioned your post in my latest blog post:

Thanks again for the terrific photos!
    Josh

• Steph May 6, 2010 at 7:36 PM #

Thanks for the shout out! It’s hard to take a bad picture in a place like that.

6. Elisa May 31, 2012 at 10:47 AM #

That first photo was my ‘hometown’ well actually it’s my Hubby’s. We lived in Split for 18 months. A really wonderful experience for our daughter.

You take wonderful photos.

ps. I also read your article about the american dream and you are right, it’s about having ‘stuff”. But once you live overseas it changes your mentality. I can’t wait to return to live overseas but it was difficult to make a living in Croatia ( no jobs, and if you did, you ran the chance of not getting paid) that’s why we returned to the States,where jobs are endless. ( I guess that’s one of the pluses about America you can have a job and get paid for it.)

I look forward to reading more about your travels. You are very insightful!