Friday Postcard: Myvatn, Iceland

the long and winding road, originally uploaded by StephYo.

At times, driving through rural Iceland felt like cruising on the moon, or maybe Mars, the landscape was so different from anything I’ve ever encountered anywhere on this planet. I snapped this shot, of Route 1, the largest highway in Iceland, up in the northeast, an area known for it’s volcanic activity.

(Do you have a photo you’d like to see featured here? Email me at Steph@twenty-somethingtravel.com)

13 Responses to Friday Postcard: Myvatn, Iceland

1. Andrea January 29, 2010 at 2:16 PM #

You are so right! That is exactly what I imagine Mars would be like. It makes me feel so small knowing that there is so much on this planet I never imagined existed.

• Steph January 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM #

I know it’s a crazy world we live in…

2. Adam January 29, 2010 at 3:51 PM #

Iceland’s landscape is so surreal. I wish I’d gotten outside of Reykjavik while I was there, but I only had 3 days in the country. Just another reason to go back, I suppose.
    .-= Adam´s last blog ..Arthur Frommer at the Boston Public Library =-.

• Steph January 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM #

Even the landscape between the airport and Reykjavik is pretty crazy looking isn’t it?

3. sherry ott January 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM #

Nice…you’ve completely peaked my interest in Iceland. I have an affinity towards the desolate places.

• Steph January 29, 2010 at 4:05 PM #

then you’d love it Sherry, the vast majority of the country is pretty much deserted.

4. Alex January 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM #

Great shot Steph! The barren landscape is one of the things I remember most from Iceland. For those of you thinking of going 1) Do it! 2) For a while, Iceland Air had a really cool deal where if you flew them to say Frankfurt, you could have a 3 day layover in Iceland free of charge on your way there, which is a perfect way to check out the country. To see a few more photos of mine, check out: http://unpoppedcollar.com/tagged/Iceland
    .-= Alex´s last blog ..Connecticut Ave, Dupont, 1/25/2010 =-.

5. Candice January 30, 2010 at 12:13 AM #

Totally looks like an alien landscape! Now to convince my company to send me to the office in Reyjavik..
    .-= Candice´s last blog ..Climbing the Stairway to Heaven at Ely Cathedral =-.

6. Nancy February 2, 2010 at 2:02 PM #

Sick shot! Looks like a moonscape. Love it.
    .-= Nancy´s last blog ..House vs. Globe: The Vagabond/Homeowner Crisis =-.

7. Hjortur Smarason February 3, 2010 at 3:12 PM #

Great picture, Steph. You’re not the first to compare the Icelandic lava landscape to the moon. Nasa actually sent astronauts to Iceland in the sixties to prepare them for the moon walk!
    .-= Hjortur Smarason´s last blog ..Please, help me find Karen in Denmark =-.

• Steph February 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM #

Oh I think I read that somewhere… doesn’t surprise me a bit!

8. Elle October 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM #

I lived in Iceland for 3 years when I was younger. Seeing pictures like this make me want to book a flight to repay the amazing island another visit. Everything was so darn expensive there though, it’ll be awhile before I can go back.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How To Make The Most Out Of Your Stopover In Iceland | foXnoMad - February 25, 2010

[...] ring road” is approximately 1,500 kilometers and a scenic drive. Here is a section of the highway in Myvatn snapped by Stephanie [...]