More Strange and Beautiful Iceland Pictures

Okay, okay, so people are really interested in pictures of Iceland! I’ve gotten great response from my articles Iceland for Twenty-Somethings and Iceland in Pictures. So, I give in, here are some more highlights of my road trip. Fortresses, craters and deserts:

A forbidding pile of rocks that was once used as a viking fortress in Northern Iceland called Borgavirki.

Horses graze in some ruins by a waterfall along the side of the road.

The Viti crater at the top of the Krafla volcano. It’s rimmed in snow but you can walk the periphery- as long as you don’t get too close to the edge! If you look at the top you can see some people, which should give you some perspective as to the size of this thing.

Svartifoss, a famous Icelandic waterfall in Skaftafell National Park in Southern Iceland. Slowly cooling lava formed the black basalt columns.

Between Skaftafell and the sea stretches miles of black sand desert known as the Sandar. The desolation is formed by runoff from the nearby glacier.

A colorful volcanic crater near Geysir park.

Another lush waterfall, this one (no joke) is supposed to have a pot of gold behind it.

, , ,

19 Responses to More Strange and Beautiful Iceland Pictures

1. DTravelsRound December 22, 2009 at 11:29 AM #

Stunning!! These are great pics. I need to plan a trip there. Thanks for posting!
    .-= DTravelsRound´s last blog ..A BRIEF intermission: The New Face of Sosauce.com =-.

2. Nicolas De Corte December 22, 2009 at 12:02 PM #

Hi, great pictures! I’ve also been to Iceland, but in the middle of winter… Watch the difference: http://www.nicolasdecorte.be/image/tid/23

• Steph December 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM #

Wow gorgeous, but you are right, quite different!

3. Candice December 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM #

I think these might be some of the first pics of Iceland I’ve seen without snow, hah! I Love it.
    .-= Candice´s last blog ..Any Mummers, Nice Mummers ‘Lowed in? =-.

• Steph December 22, 2009 at 3:02 PM #

I went in June but even so ran into quite a bit of it! Can’t imagine going when it’s colder.

4. JoAnna December 22, 2009 at 4:06 PM #

Iceland seems to be popping up everywhere today ~ maybe it’s a sign I should go!

I love the photo of the black sand desert!

• Steph December 22, 2009 at 4:41 PM #

you are the third person today whose told me this is a sign they should go to Iceland. That is clearly a sign that EVERYONE needs to mosey on over to Iceland.

I loved the desert, it was so anomalous and dark. Apparently you are not even supposed to get out of your car there because there is quicksand and these big scary birds will come chase you. It’s like another planet.

5. Adam December 22, 2009 at 7:35 PM #

Beautiful photos! Jealous that you got to take a road trip through the countryside.
    .-= Adam´s last blog ..My Travel Experience with Music =-.

6. Anil December 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM #

Wonderful pictures! I’ll be posting some of my slightly-average ones in the next few days. Iceland is a very photogenic place even for the not-so-great photographers like myself 😛
    .-= Anil´s last blog ..What Gadgets Can You Not Travel Without? [RESPONSES] =-.

• Stephanie December 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM #

I’m sure your pictures are great Anil! Too bad we didn’t coordinate, we could have gotten some light/darkness comparison pics!

7. Harry Wordsworth December 24, 2009 at 4:30 AM #

Wow gorgeous looks!! These places are looking so beautiful and amazing that we all will wish to see it once.I also want to visit this superb places of this iceland.

8. Lori December 24, 2009 at 7:58 AM #

Wonderful photos indeed! Thank you so much for this “virtual trip” to Iceland!

Happy Holidays!

9. Abhi December 25, 2009 at 2:44 AM #

Wowww! Beautiful pics! Amazing! Thanks for the lovely pics! I would love to visit Iceland some day! 🙂

10. abd. halim hadi December 28, 2009 at 9:38 PM #

love all the photo u share..but the last photo really make me screaming for Iceland.. btw, in that photo where did the water go 😛
    .-= abd. halim hadi´s last blog ..Me on my Assignment =-.

• Steph December 28, 2009 at 9:42 PM #

Yeah that one was gorgeous although it was the last one we saw and we were pretty water fall-ed out by then. There’ actually a river at the bottom that you can’t see because of the angle of the photo.

Thanks for stopping by!

11. AudreyDez November 21, 2010 at 2:50 PM #

Really love your Iceland pictures. Definitely a country I can’t wait to visit!

12. Arshad Mehmood Farooqui October 23, 2011 at 4:25 AM #